Trail Run Nationals & Utah Trail Runs
Trail Run Nationals & Utah Trail Runs
September 26, 2021
Snowbasin Ski Resort Snowbasin Ski Resort
Overview Stay Connected With Updates
WHAT: XTERRA Trail Running National Championship & Utah Trail Runs
WHEN: September 26, 2021
WHERE: Snowbasin Resort (map it)
WHO: Open to all athletes
2021 TRAIL RUN GUIDE
The XTERRA Trail Running National Championship & Utah Trail Runs will return to the beautiful Snowbasin Resort near Ogden, Utah, in 2021. The XTERRA Trail Run Nationals & Utah Trail Run event was staged at Snowbasin Resort for the first time in 2011, and it received rave reviews from the runners.
There will be three different courses to accommodate the various levels of runners. A 21-kilometer half-marathon course, a 10K, and a 5.8K.
Every age-group winner from the 21K course will be awarded a free entry to race at the 2021 XTERRA Trail Run World Championship in Hawaii.
There is a $5,000 prize purse for the 21K Championship awarded to the top five men and top five women overall. Medals and other prizes will be awarded to the top age-group runners from all three courses.
The XTERRA Trail Run Nationals & Utah Trail Runs will be held one day after the XTERRA USA Championship off-road triathlon to create the ultimate XTERRA racing weekend. The two events will bring more than 1,000 triathletes and trail runners to explore the beauty of Northern Utah.
XTERRA TRAIL RUN NATIONALS
This 21K course offers a $5,000 prize purse and requires no qualification. All are welcome to compete.
XTERRA UTAH 5.8/10/21KM TRAIL RUNS
XTERRA has a race with the perfect distance for the entire family. In addition to the 21km course, there will be 10km and 5.8km trail races.
NEW 5X5 TEAM RELAY
New for 2021 is a 5x5 team relay. One team member completes one 5km lap and hands off to a different team member for the 2nd 5km lap, and so on. Five total laps must be completed with a hand-off between team members on each lap. The same team member may not run consecutive laps. Teams are comprised of 3-5 people.
How it works:
- Distance: Five laps of 5km (25km total)
- Cut-off: 4 hours to complete 5 laps.
- Team Village: Teams are welcome to setup a 10x10 shade tent in the XTERRA 5x5 Team Village area - your HQ for resting between laps, cheering, and celebrating after the race is over.
- Awards: Top 3 in each division.
- Divisions: Coed, All Male, All Female, Military, Corporate, Student, Family.
- Minimum age: 6 years – young runners may be accompanied on course.
The XTERRA National Championship weekend wouldn't be possible without our amazing volunteers, and we would love to have you on our team. All volunteers are eligible for a free trail run code, any distance, for yourself or a friend.
VOLUNTEERS CAN RACE FOR FREE!
Get ready to XTERRA with the sport’s best. XTERRA University, presented by Paul Mitchell, offers competitors a chance to take in last-minute advice and pointers from the best off-road athletes in the sport.
The Art of XTERRA will take place at the XTERRA race expo at Snowbasin on Friday from 4-5pm*. This event is free to all.
*Please check the schedule for up-to-date information.
PAUL MITCHELL CUT-A-THON
The best Paul Mitchell stylists in Utah will be onsite giving professional hair cuts in exchange for a $15 (or more) donation to the Challenged Athletes Foundation. 100% of the proceeds benefit CAF.
With the XTERRA Trail Run training plans, we’ll be with you on the first step, and every day along the way.
Our two-months to your first 5K training plan is a great starting point for those just beginning to exercise. The 10-week to 10K plan is the next level-up, and best for those with a solid baseline of fitness, and our 12-weeks to 21K and 42K plans for those up to the challenge of a half-marathon or marathon distance.
Cancellation, Refunds, and Referrals
Refunds (not including Active fees) will be given if the event must be cancelled due to COVID-related travel restrictions.
NEW! Active Refund is available for purchase during registration, and will provide 100% refund* of your entry fee if you cancel for any reason up to 48 hours prior to the event.
To submit a refund application, visit refund.active.com. Have your Reference ID handy from your ACTIVE Refund Purchase Information email. Full information can be found HERE.
*USA Triathlon Licenses, Active Refund and Active registration fees are not refundable.
Refer a friend and save up to 25%!
Share your unique referral code (located on the bottom of your event confirmation) with your friends - and if they use it when they register for the event, you save!
You will receive 5% credit for each person that signs up using your code - to a maximum of 5 people:
1 referral = 5% refund
2 referrals = 10% refund
3 referrals = 15% refund
4 referrals = 20% refund
5 referrals = 25% refund
Please allow 7-10 days after the event has ended to receive the referral fees.
SAFE RACE PROTOCOL
Your health and safety is our top priority. As such, XTERRA Utah received COVID-19 Safety Certification from USA Triathlon, demonstrating our commitment to implementing the best practices outlined in the Safe Return to Multisport initiative and abiding by USA Triathlon’s Return to Racing Recommendations.
It is the athlete’s responsibility to stay safe leading up to the event and to follow the guidelines in place at the event. Please review the reference documents at the bottom of this section for helpful guidelines and safety tips.
Here is a list of safety measures in place at our event:
- We will adhere to all current covid-related rules and restrictions set by local authorities, including but not limited to Snowbasin Resort, the National Forest Service, Weber/Morgan County Health Department, and the State of Utah.
- Athletes, staff, volunteers, and family members MUST stay home if they are feeling ill.
The CDC recommends:
- If you are not fully vaccinated and aged 2 or older, wear a mask in indoor public places
- In areas with high numbers of COVID-19 cases, fully vaccinated should wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated
- If you are fully vaccinated, to maximize protection from the Delta variant and prevent possibly spreading it to others, wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission.
- Masks are not mandated in Utah, however, we ask all participants, family, friends and other spectators to WEAR A MASK INDOORS and OUTDOORS where crowds are expected, including at packet pickup, shuttle bus, start and finish lines, recovery/meal service, and awards
- Masks are REQUIRED on the swim shuttle buses. No mask. No ride. No exceptions.
- We are REQUIRING all public-facing event staff, volunteers, and vendors to wear a mask
- Participants are asked to wear a mask until they start their race and then again after they cross the finish line. You do not need to wear a mask while racing.
- Signage on-site encouraging regular hand washing and sanitizing
- Hand washing and sanitizing stations readily available and ample trash receptacles placed around event venue
- Regular cleaning of high touch point areas
- Discourage use of other people’s equipment, phones, tools, etc.
- 6 feet of physical distance is recommended to mitigate person-to-person contact
- Ample signage placed in key venue areas and race announcements encouraging physical distancing
REGISTRATION AND PACKET PICK-UP
- Physical distance to mitigate person-to-person contact
- Athlete Bag drop storage will not be offered. We will provide T1 transition bag pickup at Snowbasin.
- Self-application tattoos for body marking
- Wave starts for all triathletes – self-seed, and social distance
- More bike racks with fewer people per rack
- The swim, bike, and run courses have been reconfigured to be one-lap to mitigate passing
- Self-seeding of trail run start lines with social distance encouraged
- Socially distanced gathering for Thursday’s Bike Night and kids race starts.
- We recommend carrying your own fluids during the race, including hydration belt, hydration backpack, collapsible cups, or hand-held water bottle. We will provide triathletes with a new, empty bike bottle at registration
- Aid stations are self-service
- Place trash in the provided receptacle to reduce disease transmission to other athletes and volunteers.
FINISH LINE and TRIATHLETE LUNCH
- Remove your own timing chip and return it to our chip bucket at the finish line
- Self pick-up of finishers medal from the table in the finish area
- Recovery is self-serve
- Do not congregate in recovery. Take your drinks and pre-packaged food items and move through this area. Remain socially distanced from other athletes and volunteers.
- Triathlete lunch served outside on the patio. Wear a mask and social distance when you picking up. We encourage you to eat outside.
- Place trash in the provided receptacle to reduce disease transmission to other athletes and volunteers.
RACE CLINICS AND BRIEFING
- XTERRA University triathlon clinic live on Facebook (and social-distanced on-site)
- Race briefing posted to our Facebook page and website.
- Awards for top 5 men and women in the USA Championship elite triathlon and Trail Run National Championship
- Age group awards for top 3 overall men and women in all races
- All in-person awards will be socially distanced. Wear a mask and you may take it off for photos.
Please review the following documents:
*Schedule tentative and subject to change
PACKET PICKUP AT SNOWBASIN
Thursday, September 23 - MTB RIDE
|5:00pm||Check in for XTERRA Mountain Bike Night|
|5:30pm||XTERRA Mountain Bike Night (REGISTER HERE by 5pm!) – non-competitive ride for all abilities.|
Friday, September 24
|12-5pm||Registration and Packet Pick-up at Snowbasin (All events – duathlon and trail run)|
|12-5pm||Paul Mitchell Cut-a-thon, benefit for the Challenged Athlete Foundation|
|3pm||XTERRA Kids Bike Race (free) - REGISTER HERE|
|3:30pm||XTERRA Kids Sprint (free) - REGISTER HERE|
|4pm||XTERRA University and Triathlon Race Briefing, presented by Paul Mitchell - hosted by 2019 XTERRA Pan Am Tour Champions Sam Osborne and Samantha Kingsford|
Saturday, September 25 - XTERRA DUATHLON
|6:30am||Late packet pickup at Snowbasin (no new registration)|
|6:30am||Transition open for Set-up|
|6:30am||Body marking and timing chip distribution|
|9am-2pm||Expo open at Snowbasin – exhibits, food service|
|9am-2:30pm||Paul Mitchell Cut-a-thon - benefit for the Challenged Athletes Foundation|
|9:00am||XTERRA USA Championship Start (2.5-mile trail run/19-mile MTB/5.5-mile trail run)|
|9:45am||XTERRA Utah Sprint Start (1.5-mile run/13-mile MTB and 3-mile run)|
|10am-3pm||Registration and packet pickup for XTERRA Trail Runs –21K, 10K, 5K, and 5x5 Relay|
|1:00pm||XTERRA Utah Awards Ceremony|
|1:30pm||XTERRA USA Championship Award Ceremony|
|1:30pm||XTERRA Cut-off at T2|
|6-10pm||XTERRA After Party at Ogden River Brewing - first beer and appetizers on us! No host dinner and full bar available. 358 Park Blvd, Ogden (801) 884-6939.|
Sunday, September 26 - XTERRA TRAIL RUNNING
|7:00-8:30am||Late packet pick up|
|8:00am||XTERRA Expo open|
|9:00am||XTERRA Trail Run National Championship (21km) Start|
|9:05am||XTERRA 5km, 5x5 Relay and 10km Trail Run Starts|
|9:00am-2:00pm||Paul Mitchell Cut-a-Thon, a benefit for the Challenged Athletes Foundation|
|9:20am/9:40am||5km/10km winners expected|
|10:06/10:19am||XTERRA Trail Run National Championship male/female winners expected|
|11:00am||5x5 Relay winners expected|
|11:00am||XTERRA Kids Sprint (free) - REGISTER HERE|
|11:05am||XTERRA 5km and 10km awards ceremony|
|11:45am||XTERRA 21K race awards ceremony|
|12-5:30pm||“SnowWiesn” German-themed fall festival featuring Bavarian food, cold drinks, live music by Park City Polka Players & Eric Heideman|
|2:00pm||XTERRA Expo closes|
The course is a true trail run masterpiece. There is nothing amiss in this perfectly designed thriller, highlighting everything Snowbasin Resort’s terrain has to offer. If you enjoy gut-wrenching climbs leading to breathtaking views, twisted single track dotted with rock gardens, fast flat sections, and of course, flying effortlessly down rewarding descents, you are in for the race of your life! It hosts the perfect symphony of challenging components to favor the all-around runner. For those curious about the elevation, the low point hits in at 6,133 feet. High point is just shy of 7,300 feet. Expect 2,200 feet of climbing.
There will be several aid stations each featuring nutrition and hydration from Gatorade.
TRAIN WITH WHAT’S ON COURSE
Lemon-lime Gatorade Endurance Formula will be available on course at all aid stations. Endurance Formula has nearly two times the sodium and three times the potassium of traditional Gatorade. Newly reformulated, it now contains no artificial flavors or sweeteners and a new, lighter flavor.
OFFICIAL HOST VALLEY PROPERTY – MOUNTAIN LUXURY LODGING
The official lodging host for the XTERRA USA Championship is Mountain Luxury Lodging. They have multiple townhouses, condos, and luxury homes throughout the Eden and Huntsville area. If you want to room closest to Snowbasin Resort, look no further. Amenities include private hot tubs, wi-fi, fully equipped kitchens, washer/dryer and a one car garage that can be used to store bikes and other sporting gear.
XTERRA participants receive 10% off with the code XTERRA10.
For more information, call 801-745-3194.
Mountain Luxury Lodging – Closest Lodging to Snowbasin
Lakeside Rentals | 6486 E. Highway 39 Huntsville, UT 84317
Edgewater Rentals | 846 S Bonnington Way, Huntsville, UT 84317
SPECIAL XTERRA HOTEL RATES
Tru by Hilton Ogden - $129/night plus tax
Home2 Suites by Hilton Ogden - $139 per night plus tax
*Booking cutoff date is Sept. 1st. The rates shown are for Sept 23rd-26th. For dates outside of that, please contact the front desk for assistance.
Comfort Suites Ogden Conference Center
2250 S 1200 W
Ogden, UT 84401
*Special XTERRA Athlete Rate: $106/night plus tax includes free breakfast. Offer good through August 27, 2021.
Hertz - our Preferred Car Rental Agency, offers 5% off all rentals to XTERRA participants, friends and family.
Use code 2213376 when you book your car. Good for travel to XTERRA events and personal travel.
Book Your Rental Car noW!
You can also enroll in “Hertz Gold Plus Rewards” at no additional cost to bypass the counter and go straight to your car.
To enroll in the program, click here to go to the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards enrollment page. Once you complete the enrollment process, you will be issued a #1 Club Gold Number instantly, which will be sent to your email. Existing Gold members, please log in to your profile if you have not already, and change your Corporate Discount Program to 2213376.
Anderson Cove Campgrounds (801) 745-3215
South Fork Campground (They are typically open until Labor Day but may extend the season depending on the weather.) - UT-39, Huntsville, UT 84317 - (801)625-5112
11635 E Highway 39, Huntsville · (801) 625-5306
Preception Camp Ground
12566 E Highway 39, Huntsville · (801) 745-3464
More Ogden area camping spots
The XTERRA USA Championship weekend wouldn't be possible without our amazing volunteers, and we would love to have you on our team. Sign up at the link below.
- One free trail run race entry (for yourself or a friend) on Sunday, September 26 is available for all volunteers.
- Free shirt and lunch will be given to all volunteers.
- Receive documented volunteer hours.
- COVID precautions will be in place.
Contact Emily McIlvaine at volunteer [at] xterraplanet.com or call 877-751-8880 x 3 for any questions, to receive your trail run registration code, or for more details. We hope you can join us!
To become a partner or exhibitor, please reach out to:
Sales and Strategic Partnerships
sponsorship [at] xterraplanet.com
Prize Money and Awards
The XTERRA Trail Run Worlds 21K will offer a $5,000 prize purse for both overall male and female divisions. No qualification is necessary.
2021 Prize Money Policy:
All athletes earning prize money will receive onsite a W-9 (US resident) or W-8BEN (foreign national) form and a bank wire information form. Return your completed forms by email to samantha.paulson [at] xterraplanet.com.
Prize money will be paid by bank wire within two-to-four weeks.
Foreign athletes will be subject to 30% withholding and may file a refund through the IRS 2021 form 1040NR by April 15, 2022.
Winners must be present to receive awards. Awards will not be mailed. Medals and awards will be given to the top three runners in each age group for each distance.
XTERRA is working with Enduro Photo and will give away one free finish line photo, and provide an opportunity to purchase high-res digital and print images. We’ll post the photo link to our website and email you directly with the photos we captured of you a week or so after the race.
Pre-order your photos for the 2021 XTERRA Trail Run Nationals and save! You will be able to download all the photos of you on the course for a discounted price!
Triathlon Pre-order link:
Photos will also be available to participants after event at regular prices. Email contact [at] endurophoto.com with questions or inquiries.
For XTERRA Utah Trail Run information, email trailrun [at] xterraplanet.com or call 877-983-7721 x 3.