September 16, 2017
Lake Superior Shore Run
Marquette, MI, US
Brand new for the 2018 season, the XTERRA Michigan Trail Run Series will offer the runners of the Great Lakes State three new opportunities for off-road fun.
Kicking off the series is the XTERRA Lake Superior Shore Trail Run in Marquette.
Just two weeks later, the XTERRA Fort Custer Trail Run will heat up the trails in Augusta.
Finally, after a long break, the XTERRA Ionia Trail Run will wrap up the Michigan madness with the season finale.
Lake Superior Shore Run
Marquette, MI, US
Augusta, MI, US
Ionia Trail Run
Ionia, MI, US
1. NEW FOR 2018! XTERRA Racing Age is the age you will be on August 31st of the series season. (The old date was December 31.) We need to fix a firm age for the year so people won’t race in January at one age and in August at another if they have a birthday in-between. For example: If you are 29 in Feb, but turn 30 on Aug. 20th, you will be racing in the 30-34 division all season.
XTERRA Trail Run Series age groups: <9, 10-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+, Physically Challenged.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Races scheduled after September 1, will become part of the following year’s XTR Series.
2. Enter as many XTERRA Trail Runs as you can – In order to be eligible for the XTERRA Regional Champion title for your age group, you must compete in at least two trail runs within a given series. You should run in as many events within the regional series as possible to score maximum points.
If your regional series consists of 3 races, all 3 races will count towards your points
If your regional series consists of 4 or more races, we will drop one of the events from your score:
It’s not mandatory that you race in all events in your Series, but your chances of winning the region are much better if you do. You will be allocated “0” points for races in your Series that you do not enter.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If there are two race distances offered on the same day, only the longer distance event counts for points. For example, if there is a 5k and a 15k race on the same day, only the 15k will count for points. Exception: All races 21km and over will receive points. For example, if there is a 21km and a 42km race, both will get points.
3. Accumulate Points –Points are awarded to the top 15 finishers in each age group. Please see the points breakdown below. Current standings will be posted after each event. Points stay within the region you raced in and do not transfer (For example – if you won XTERRA Thrill in the Hills you’d get 100 points in the Georgia Series. Then you won the XTERRA Mission Gorge Trail Run and earned 100 points in SoCal Series. You would have 100 points in each Series).
XTERRA TRAIL RUN SERIES POINTS- awarded to each age group
4. Count ‘em Up! – The athlete with the most points- by gender and age group- after the last race in the Series earns the title of XTERRA Trail Run Series Champion and earns free entry into the XTERRA National Championship in Ogden, Utah in September. Series Champs can also race for free in the 5k or 10k offered at Nationals if they wish, but only the 21km is considered the national championship race.
6. Tie Breakers – Ties in point standings will be settled by:
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR XTERRA TRAIL RUNNING NATIONALS
The XTERRA Trail Running National Championship at Ogden, Utah, is open to runners of all ages and skill levels, even those who do not compete in a regional series during the year. There is no qualifying process. However, only the regional champions are eligible to receive a free entry to nationals.
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR XTERRA TRAIL RUNNING WORLDS
The XTERRA Trail Running World Championship at Kualoa Ranch, Oahu, Hawaii, is open to runners of all ages and skill levels, even those who do not compete in a regional series during the year. There is no qualifying process.
If it’s not necessary to qualify for Nationals or Worlds, why set a qualifying standard?
Couple of reasons. 1) We wanted to recognize those runners that completed a half-marathon in the time allotted because that’s a great achievement 2) We wanted to tie-in all the half-marathons (your race leads to U.S. Nationals and all of them lead to Worlds) so by the time we get to Worlds we’ll have this great international field of runners with good vibes and great competition 3) Because this is just year nine of the Series, and we believe someday the demand will be such that we’ll have to limit the number of runners in the Championship races (understand that at some parks there are limits to the # of participants you’re allowed to put on a trail). When this happens, qualifying for the Championship races will be necessary.
Sam Osborne and Samantha Kingsford from New Zealand captured the XTERRA Albay off-road triathlon elite titles in the Philippines on Sunday. It’s the eighth XTERRA World Tour win for Osborne, and th...
Stephane Delicourt was runner up in the 40-44 division at the 2016 XTERRA World Championship, was ranked third in the 2017 XTERRA European Tour, and is a massage therapist for the Organicoach/XTERRA R...
Robbie Day and Katarina Marks, both from Colorado, won XTERRA Lory on Saturday, June 17, at Lory State Park near Bellvue, Colorado. Fifteen-year-old Day finished the course in 1:42:25 followed by B...
2017 XTERRA Pan Am Champ, Michael Dorr, knows a little something about being scared and doing it anyway. While he has been mountain biking for years, Dorr never entered an open water swim until his fi...
Most people would be bummed at the idea of camping and whitewater rafting during a hailstorm, but Tim Wachuta is not most people. “It’s called the outdoors,” he says. “Cold weather doesn’t have to ...
You know those people who make XTERRA look easy? The ones who seem to always be on the top step of the podium and who sail through the toughest courses with a big smile on their face? Five-time XTERRA...
On June 24, the XTERRA Southeast region hosts its fifth race of the season at the Tsali Recreational Area in Bryson City, North Carolina. After XTERRA Tsali, there are just three more races in t...
The 2018 XTERRA Asia-Pacific Tour finale takes place this Sunday, June 17, in the shadows of the famous Mount Mayon Volcano of the Philippines, the iconic landmark of Legazpi in the province of Albay....
On July 1, XTERRA returns home to Hawaii for XTERRA Freedom Fest at Kualoa Ranch on the island of Oahu. Held in the same beautiful valley that the XTERRA Trail Run World Championship will be held this...
It’s no secret that as a society, we are more sedentary, weigh more, and are less fit than we used to be. And nowhere is this more apparent than in our youth. According to the Center for Disease Contr...