Malibu Creek Trail Run
Malibu Creek Trail Run
May 16, 2020
Malibu Creek State Park Malibu Creek State Park
About Stay Connected With Updates
WHAT: XTERRA Malibu Creek Trail Run
WHEN: May 16, 2020
WHERE: Malibu Creek State Park (map it)
Race #6 of the XTERRA SoCal Trail Run Series is XTERRA Malibu Creek 6k, 21k, and 1-mile Kids Trail Runs!
The SoCal Championships. The Grandfather of the Series and the hardest course there is!
This course has it all from creekside singletracks and brutal canyon climbs, to ocean views and oak forests. It's also home of the MASH TV show and other famous films like Planet of the Apes.
Challenge yourself and race around one of SoCal's most beautiful State Parks.
Both courses are professionally marked, staffed with excellent happy volunteers and medics, and supplied with Aid Stations serving Gatorade, water, and energy gels and bars.
Cheer on your friends as they finish, climb the podium in 5-year age group categories, eat all the Baja Fresh tacos you like, grab a beer in the Beer Garden (21+ only), drink some coffee, get a massage and enjoy the XTERRA racing scene. This series finale leaves you feeling both beat up and uplisted! Get inspired by the Regional Champions and the "Series Six" runners!!
All participants get super soft race shirts, with an option for a woman's tank top, sweet finisher medals, a hot breakfast and a chance for massage. Those 21 and older get two free beers. Everyone gets to have an AWESOME TIME ON THE TRAILS!!
XTERRA TRAIL RUN
Distances: Trail Run – 6K and 21K
21k Long Course - Earn points to win the title of SoCal XTERRA Champion and get a free entry to Nationals. Top 3 in each age group receive Awards and qualify for the Top 3 Overall awards as well.
6k Short Course - Top 3 in each age group receive Awards, and qualify for the Top 3 Overall awards as well.
Stuff You Get
- Professionally Marked Course
- On-Point Aid Stations
- Sweet Finisher Medals
- Super Soft Cotton Men's T-Shirts
- Awesome Women's Tanks
- New 5-year Age Group Awards
- Yummy Meal by Baja Fresh
- Fresh Coffee
- 2 Free Beers (21+)
- Amazing Sports Massage
- Earn Points and Win the title of XTERRA SoCal Series Champion
Schedule of Events
Saturday, May 16, 2020
*Schedule subject to change
|10:30am||1-Mile Kids Starts|
Course Info - XTERRA Trail Run
XTERRA Malibu Creek Trail Run
Distance: 6K and 22K
2020 SOCAL TRAIL RUN SERIES RULES
BECOME A SERIES CHAMPION
1. XTERRA Racing Age is the age you will be on August 31st of the series season. (The old date was December 31.) We need to fix a firm age for the year so people won’t race in January at one age and in August at another if they have a birthday in-between. For example: If you are 29 in Feb, but turn 30 on Aug. 20th, you will be racing in the 30-34 division all season.
XTERRA Trail Run Series age groups: <9, 10-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+, Physically Challenged.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Races scheduled after September 1, will become part of the following year’s XTR Series.
2. Enter as many XTERRA Trail Runs as you can – In order to be eligible for the XTERRA Regional Champion title for your age group, you must compete in at least two trail runs within a given series. You should run in as many events within the regional series as possible to score maximum points.
If your regional series consists of 3 races, all 3 races will count towards your points
If your regional series consists of 4 or more races, we will drop one of the events from your score:
- If there are 4 races in your Series, your final score will be calculated based on your top 3 races.
- If there are 5 races in your Series, your final score will be calculated based on your top 4 races.
- If there are 7 races in your Series, your final score will be calculated based on your top 6 races.
It’s not mandatory that you race in all events in your Series, but your chances of winning the region are much better if you do. You will be allocated “0” points for races in your Series that you do not enter.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If there are two race distances offered on the same day, only the longer distance event counts for points. For example, if there is a 5k and a 15k race on the same day, only the 15k will count for points. Exception: All races 21km and over will receive points. For example, if there is a 21km and a 42km race, both will get points.
3. Accumulate Points –Points are awarded to the top 15 finishers in each age group. Please see the points breakdown below. Current standings will be posted after each event. Points stay within the region you raced in and do not transfer (For example – if you won XTERRA Thrill in the Hills you’d get 100 points in the Georgia Series. Then you won the XTERRA Mission Gorge Trail Run and earned 100 points in SoCal Series. You would have 100 points in each Series).
XTERRA TRAIL RUN SERIES POINTS- awarded to each age group
- 1st – 100
- 2nd – 90
- 3rd – 82
- 4th – 75
- 5th – 69
- 6th – 63
- 7th – 58
- 8th – 53
- 9th – 49
- 10th – 45
- 11th – 41
- 12th – 37
- 13th – 34
- 14th – 31
- 15th – 28
4. Count ‘em Up! – The athlete with the most points- by gender and age group- after the last race in the Series earns the title of XTERRA Trail Run Series Champion and earns free entry into the XTERRA National Championship in Ogden, Utah in September. Series Champs can also race for free in the 5k or 10k offered at Nationals if they wish, but only the 21km is considered the national championship race.
6. Tie Breakers – Ties in point standings will be settled by:
- Head to Head competition (order of finish from the most recent race in your Series where both/all competitors participated.)
- Winner of the most recent race (the highest placing athlete at the most recent race in your series will break the tie).
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR XTERRA TRAIL RUNNING NATIONALS
The XTERRA Trail Running National Championship at Ogden, Utah, is open to runners of all ages and skill levels, even those who do not compete in a regional series during the year. There is no qualifying process. However, only the regional champions are eligible to receive a free entry to nationals.
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR XTERRA TRAIL RUNNING WORLDS
The XTERRA Trail Running World Championship at Kualoa Ranch, Oahu, Hawaii, is open to runners of all ages and skill levels, even those who do not compete in a regional series during the year. There is no qualifying process.
If it’s not necessary to qualify for Nationals or Worlds, why set a qualifying standard?
Couple of reasons. 1) We wanted to recognize those runners that completed a half-marathon in the time allotted because that’s a great achievement 2) We wanted to tie-in all the half-marathons (your race leads to U.S. Nationals and all of them lead to Worlds) so by the time we get to Worlds we’ll have this great international field of runners with good vibes and great competition 3) Because this is just year nine of the Series, and we believe someday the demand will be such that we’ll have to limit the number of runners in the Championship races (understand that at some parks there are limits to the # of participants you’re allowed to put on a trail). When this happens, qualifying for the Championship races will be necessary.
The XTERRA SoCal Trail Runs are a fun way to give back. You don't have to be a runner to help. With short shifts and plenty of smiles and thank you's, volunteers can enjoy their Sunday mornings in the mountains. Assist with parking, runner registration, on-course aid stations, finish line medals, or pre-running and sweeping the course.
Whatever you choose, you'll be surrounded by fun, friendly faces making a difference. Volunteers are treated well at the XTERRA SoCal Trail Runs, and they get shirts, breakfast, coffee, discounted entries to upcoming races, and are made to feel like part of the team. We are happy to sign off for community service hours and will gladly find assignments for volunteer groups.
Course Records and Results links coming soon...
Our course photographers are awesome. Please support their hard work. Past event photos coming soon...
When is the XTERRA Malibu Creek Trail Run?
Saturday, May 16, 2020
Is XTERRA Malibu Creek part of the XTERRA SoCal Trail Run Series?
Yes. Long Course finishers earn points to determine the Series Champion at the end of the season.
Are strollers allowed on the course?
No. Only runners and their packs are allowed on the course.
Are dogs allowed on the course?
No. We love all animals, but dogs are not allowed on CA State Park trails.
Are there restrooms at the event?
Yes. There are plenty of restrooms at the start/finish area. Mile 1 of the 6k and 21k courses has a toilet, as well as mile 7 of the 21k course.
Is there a Bag Check?
Yes. There will be an official, sectioned-off, Bag Drop Area at the race start/finish. Leave belongings at your own risk and respect other's belongings. It will not be staffed.
Where do I park?
Official parking is at Malibu Creek State Park, 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, CA 91302. Parking is $12.00. Please bring exact change.
Free street parking is on Las Virgenes Road and Mulholland Road, around 1 mile from the race start.
Are there age group awards?
Yes. Awards will be presented to top three finishers in 5-year age divisions for both the 6k and the 21k trail runs.
There will also be Overall Awards for the top 3 male and female finishers of the 6k and the 21k trail runs.
The 1-mile Kids run is a fun run with finisher medals only.
Can I volunteer?
Yes. We love help setting up and on race day! Please sign up at the Volunteer Sign-up link above.
Can I get a refund?
XTERRA SoCal Trail Runs do not offer refunds, deferrals, or roll-overs.
You may transfer your registration to another runner.
In the case of a natural disaster...
We make decisions based on athlete safety and CA State Park's authority.
Race courses and dates may be changed as a result.
Athletes in a postponed race will be transferred to the rescheduled date free of charge.
Each athlete accepts these risks.
HAVE FUN and SMILE - CONGRATULATE YOUR COMPETITORS - THANK EVERY VOLUNTEER!!
Contact Name: Daniel Weissauer
Contact Email: info [at] trailrace.com
Note: Please do not contact xterraplanet.com for questions about this specific race. Use the email and/or number provided here.