DATE: Saturday, June 13 @ 8AM
WHERE: Boat Ramp (between Brown’s Island and Belle Isle walkway)
We are very fortunate to have a colorful assortment of local "river dogs" involved to setup a top notch race course and help assure the safety of the competitors.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS
Thom Stanton swims in Richmond's whitewater for fun, and consults with TEAM Unlimited on the route and features for XTERRA swim courses each year. Thom's focus is on how to swim efficiently in the XTERRA course's swift current and ways to avoid hidden underwater hazards.
XTERRA SWIM CLINIC
The swim clinic begins promptly at the start time, and takes about an hour. Our general agenda includes:
- Gathering - Meet at boat ramp by Tredagar Iron Works
- Introductions - Get to know, assess experience, and identify who is in which race
- Overview - Safety, equipment, course layout, and general hazards in river
- Current Events - Basic how to regarding swimming in moving water
- Race Start - Considerations for positioning for solid start
- Coursework - Swimming from race start to island in two groups (full and short races)
- Finish - How to exit course at boat ramp for run to first transition
- Q&A - Additional tips and tricks
All participants should be able to swim for at least five minutes continuously without need of assistance or added flotation. This is NOT a learn-to-swim clinic, and basic swim instruction is NOT included.
Form fitting swim suits that reduce drag and river shoes for foot protection are recommended. Due to close proximity of rocks on river bottom, goggles are required.