Welcome to the 2019 XTERRA Asia-Pacific Championship off-road triathlon and trail running festival, set for March 30, 2019 at Kenting National Park at the southern end of the Island of Taiwan. The location is an idyllic outdoor sports paradise, renowned for it’s rugged mountain terrain, white sand beaches, caves, and coral reefs. Discover the original spirit of adventure and the community, camaraderie and challenge of XTERRA in Taiwan. Live. More.
XTERRA Asia-Pacific Championship Off-Road Triathlon - Full, Relay and Xticer
Located in Kenting National Park at the southern end of the Island of Taiwan the event offers full (championship) and Xticer distance off-road triathlons combining an open water swim, 26km mountain bike and 10km trail run.
XTERRA Asia-Pacific Championship offers an elite prize purse of $25,000USD and forty-nine 2019 XTERRA World Championship qualifier slots for amateurs.
The Xticer off-road triathlon is perfect for beginning triathletes with a 200m open water swim, 10km mountain bike and 2km trail run.
Relay teams of three people are welcome to race in the full distance event.
XTERRA Taiwan Trail Runs - 5/10/26km
XTERRA Taiwan has a trail race with the perfect distance for the entire family. In addition to the triathlon event there will be 5km, 10km and 26km trail running races.
The 26km race will offer a prize purse of $20,000NTD to the top 3 men and women.
Location: Kenting, Taiwan
Venue: Kenting Youth Activity Center
Address: No.17, Kenting Rd., Hengchun Township, Pingtung County 94644, Taiwan
Google Map: https://goo.gl/bZHkm7
Swim – 1.5km
The 1.5km swim is two laps of 750m with a short beach run in between. It will start and end in Little Bay and athletes will swim counterclockwise. After the swim participants will then run about 700 meters to T1 (transition 1 - swim to bike) located at Kenting Youth Activity Center.
Bike – 26km
Heading out of transition, athletes will cross the main road of Kenting leading them to the 26km bike course. The one loop bike course begins with about 2km on-road followed by trails to the sandy, rocky riverbed. Elevation gradually increases, and there will be several climbs to Mt. Menmaluo’s grassy summit.
There will be lots of single track with varying vegetation in the area. Participants will also encounter fast downhill sections and some technical flat portions in the course. The majority of the course will be single track leading to open wider areas.
Run – 10km
After the bike course, participants will head to Chihniuling, for T2 (transition 2 - bike to run) where head to the run course. The run course will start with downhill in grassy, open areas leading to the riverbed with lots of lose rocks.
Championship Course Map
Swim - 200m
The 200m swim back and forth route starts at the Little Bay. After the swim participants will then run about 700 meters to T1 (transition 1 - swim to bike) located at Kenting Youth Activity Center.
Bike - 10km
Heading out of transition, athletes will cross the main road of Kenting leading them to the 10km bike course. The one loop bike course begins with about 2km on-road then go to riverbed with lots of lose rocks. Then take a circle along the riverbed, then come back to T2 (transition 2 – bike to run).
Run - 2km
After the bike course, participants will run along the beach back and forth, then heading to the route with bushes. The finish line at Kenting Youth Activity Center.
Xticer Course Map
XTERRA Taiwan MTB Rental Plan
|MTB Rental Options||Rental Plan Covers 3 Days
(9/28 - 9/30)
|KRIVAN SOLE 1.0
|KRIVAN SOLE 2.0
|KRIVAN SOLE 3.0
*The prices above are quoted in New Taiwan Dollar (NTD).
For specs & additional information on the MTB rental options, please refer to the KRIVAN Website.
PICKUP & PAYMENT
Payment & pickup of your rental will be available at the Kenting Youth Activity Centre, which is at the event location.
ONLINE RENTAL REQUEST FORM
Please follow this link & complete the forms in order for your request to be successfully processed.
*If you have any questions, please e-mail us at info [at] xterrataiwan.com or DM us on our Facebook Page.
- Pros race for a $25,000 USD elite purse
- Amateurs battle for 49 slots to the 2019 World Championship (see chart below)
Top finishers in the XTERRA Asia-Pacific Championship full race are awarded slots to the 2019 XTERRA World Championship in Kapalua, Maui based on the following age group allocations.
It is the responsibility of each participant to be aware of and follow these rules. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- Swimmers must wear the swim cap provided in the race kit.
- Swim will be a mass beach start. Pro and elite athletes will be positioned in front of age group and relay participants.
- Any stroke of a forward motion can be used. No participant may use the buoy line to propel themselves forward. This will result in disqualification.
- Swimmers must have their race number displayed on both upper arms by race officials prior to the start of the swim.
- Swimmers must complete the entire swim course unassisted. Failure to complete the course correctly will result in disqualification.
- Swimmers may not use fins, snorkels, flotation devices, gloves or socks at any time during the swim.
- No individual escorts or paddlers are allowed at any time during the swim.
- Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, or extend past the knees. Swimwear may contain a zipper. A race kit may be worn underneath swimwear. All tri-suits must be sleeveless and must not extend beyond the knees.
- No wetsuits of any kind are allowed.
- Speed suits are allowed. (Speedsuit must be comprised of 100% textile material such as nylon or lyca and must not included rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. The speedsuit may contain a zipper.)
View list of permitted speed suits.
- A swimmer experiencing difficulty and in need of assistance shall raise an arm overhead, pump it up and down, and call or seek assistance. A swimmer, who has received assistance, whether voluntary or involuntary, must retire and withdraw from the remainder of the race, unless such assistance did not aid the swimmer in making forward progress. No swimmer shall return to the race if the official rendering assistance requests that the participant withdraws from the race or receives medical assistance.
- Follow the instructions of race marshals and officials at all times.
- There will be NO cut off time for the swim.
- Mountain bikes are the only type of bike allowed for this race.
** Some additional provisions regarding mountain bikes:
a. No Cyclo-Cross bikes allowed
b. No drop bars or aero bars allowed
c. Bar extensions or grips off the handlebars may not exceed five (5) inches d. All bikes must have 24, 26, 27.5 or 29 inch wheels
d. All bar ends must be securely capped.
- There will be a mandatory bike check at Transition 1 (T1) – Kenting Youth Activity Center (prior to bike check-in) on Saturday, September 29, 2018 from 1:00pm – 8:00pm.
- All bikes must be checked into T1 and left overnight (9/29 - 8:00pm – 9/30 - 4:00am). Security will be provided. Please ensure you arrive at the bike check in on time - there will be no extension or late check in and there will be NO bike check in on race morning. Participants will have full access to their bikes on race morning in T1 but will not be allowed to remove their bike from T1 until the start of the bike leg.
- Shoes, shirt, and helmets must be worn at all times while on the bike course.
- Bike numbers must be attached to the front handlebar. (It is not necessary to wear the run number during the bike segment. Mountain Bike numbers are large and obvious; therefore it is not mandatory to wear a run number for identification purposes.)
- Helmet must be clipped before the bike is removed from the rack in T1 and cannot be unclipped until the bike is securely racked in T2 after completing the bike course.
- No riding inside transition 1 or 2 at any time.
- Mount and dismount at the designated areas only.
- Drafting is allowed.
- Always ride on the right side of the road. Over take on the left and return to the right as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Passing Etiquette: Slower riders must yield to faster riders. Faster riders must clearly speak a passing command, “Bike!” or “On your left!” when overtaking, and overtaking must be done safely. If two racers are fighting for position, the leading rider need not give up position, but the leading rider may not interfere or impede another rider’s progress.
- Outside assistance from a non-participant or spectator is not allowed at any time on the bike course. This means no receiving food, hydration, tools, or medical assistance from any person not directly involved in the event. (Example of non-participants: family members, friends, spectators, photographers, personal drivers, coaches.)
- Pacing from a non-competitor or any kind of motorized vehicle is not allowed at any time on the bike course.
- Participants may walk their bike if needed but must complete the course with their bike.
- All participants are responsible for their own bike care, maintenance, and repair. An official technical crew will be roving around the racecourse and may assist with repairs but should not be expected to fix basic flats.
- A sweeper vehicle will sweep the course starting at 12 noon to collect any riders who are unable to complete the course because of exhaustion or mechanical failure. Once a participant rides the sweeper vehicle they will be considered DNF (did not finish).
- Short-cutting and/or cutting trail switchbacks or any part of the course is not permitted and may result in disqualification. A rider is required to stay on the designated trail that is marked and or specified as the race course. It is the rider's responsibility to know the designated racecourse. Lack of tape or barriers on the course will not constitute an excuse for cutting course violations.
- Participants shall complete the entire bike course on the same mountain bike they started the bike leg on. Participants must enter T2 using the same bike they left T1 with to be allowed to continue the race. No bicycle parts may be left on the course.
- Participants must give way to medical and emergency personnel at all times on the bike course regardless of their race standing.
- Participants must complete the entire bike course unassisted. Failure to complete the course correctly will result in disqualification.
- Bike Cut-Off time is 12pm. All participants must enter Transition 2 at Chihniuling by 12pm. Any participant who fails to enter T2 by this time will not be permitted to begin the run and will be classified as DNF (did not finish). This applies to full and relay participants.
- Shoes and shirt / top are required at all times on the run course.
- Race number must be clearly visible on the front of the runner at all times. A race belt may be used to secure the race number. Failure to wear a race number on the run will result in disqualification.
- A runner may run or walk to complete the course.
- Outside assistance from a non-participant or spectator is not allowed at any time on the run course. This means no receiving food, hydration, water/ice/sponges for cooling off from any person not directly involved in the event. (Example of non-participants: family members, friends, spectators, photographers, personal drivers, coaches.)
- Pacing from a non-participant or any kind of motorized vehicle is not allowed at any time on the run course.
- No individual or team support vehicle may follow runners around the course.
- Participants must give way to medical and emergency personnel at all times on the run course regardless of their race standing.
- Respect local traffic rules and other vehicles on the road at all times.
- Short-cutting and/or cutting trail switchbacks or any part of the course is not permitted and may result in disqualification. A runner is required to stay on the designated trail that is marked and or specified as the racecourse. It is the runner's responsibility to know the designated racecourse. Lack of tape or barrier on the course will not be constituted as an excuse for cutting course.
- Runners must complete the entire run course unassisted. Failure to complete the course correctly will result in disqualification.
- There will be no run / finish line cut off time.
- If for any reason a participant cannot finish the race, they must report to the finish line area and return their timing chip. This will result in a DNF (did not finish) result.
- Littering on the run and bike course is prohibited. Any item that needs to be discarded, including water bottles, gel wrappers, energy bar wrappers, broken bike parts, inner tubes, or clothing items, can only be discarded at aid / hydration stations.
- In T1 and T2, it is the responsibility of the participant to ensure all race gear is placed in their respective race baskets / boxes / bags.
- Participants will NOT be allowed to enter T1 from the time bike check in closes (9/29 - 8:00pm) until T1 opens on race morning 4:00am.
- Only participants wearing an XTERRA Taiwan wristband and race officials will be allowed to enter T1 and T2 before, during, and after the race. No family members, personal bike mechanics or photographers without credentials will be allowed in T1 or T2 at any time.
- All the bikes will transfer from T2 to T1 after participants finish the bike course. No private vehicles will allowed into T2.
- Bike and Bag collection from T1– transition 1 will open at to be 12pm for collection of bikes and transition bags. Any bikes or bags remaining in T1 after 3:00pm will be left unsecured as the transition area will be closed and race staff removed from the area. Bikes and bags can only be collected by the PARTICIPANT - family members, support staff, coaches, and drivers will NOT be allowed to collect bikes and bags from T1. Participants will be required to present a race number to the transition marshal as proof of bike ownership.
- Relay participants must remain in the designated waiting areas in T1 and T2 and wait for their teammate to arrive. They cannot leave transition unless given permission by a race marshal. Once a relay participant has completed their leg of the race they may leave transition but will not be allowed to return to transition until transition opens for bike and race gear collection.
- All medical expenses incurred during the course of the race or as a result of the race, are the sole responsibility of the participant.
- MP3 players or any kind of personal music / listening devices with headset are not allowed at any time during the race. Use of a headset will result in disqualification.
- XTERRA Taiwan race numbers and race registration and non-transferable. Participants found racing under a different name will be disqualified.
- RELAY TEAMS – relay teams must consist of 3 participants. A participant from another relay team cannot compete as part of a second relay team. No participant registered as an individual may race as part of a relay team.
- Consider the safety of yourself and other participants at all times during the race. Treat other participants, race officials, race marshals, medical staff, traffic enforcers, and spectators with respect and courtesy before, during and after the race.
- Participants shall refrain from unsportsmanlike conduct, including the improper use of language or conduct directed toward another participant, race official, race marshal, medical staff or traffic enforcer.
- Any protest relating to race results must be submitted in writing to the Race Director within one hour of the final race cutoff.
- In case of severe weather on race day, XTERRA Taiwan reserves the right to make the necessary adjustments to the race course to ensure the safety of all participants. These decisions will be made on race morning and announced at transition and the swim start.
- XTERRA Taiwan reserves the right to make rule changes at any time provided all athletes are notified on the event website and at the pre-race athlete briefing on Saturday, September 29, 5:00pm.
Recommended Travel Routes
Below we have listed three travels routes from Taiwan’s 3 international airports. We have also indicated our recommended route which is the quickest & most cost effective journey to the race destination.
以下は、私たちは、台湾の3つの国際空港から3つの旅行ルートを列挙されていま す。我々はレース先へ最速&最も費用対効果の旅である私たちの推奨経路をも示し ています.