US XTERRA Certified Coach Camp
US XTERRA Certified Coach Camp
July 19, 2021
- July 21, 2021
Register Today to Become an XTERRA Certified Coach
Who: Triathlon coaches who have applied and been approved to participate in the XTERRA Coach Camp, to be hosted by XTERRA Americas Head Coach Josiah Middaugh. For a list of requirements to be considered for XTERRA Coaching Certification, click here.
What: Three days of training. Completion of the training will result in “XTERRA Certified Coach” official status.
Where: Avon, Colorado – Camp HQ is Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
When: July 19 - 21, 2021
Why: The XTERRA Certified Coaching Program is designed to:
- Facilitate and enhance the quality of service delivered by coaches who offer XTERRA specific coaching.
- Provide opportunities for first-time athletes to try XTERRA and increase the skills of athletes looking to improve their current XTERRA performance.
- Provide first-hand exposure to the XTERRA culture and “live more” spirit.
- Expand the training businesses of XTERRA Coaches.
- Grow the XTERRA community throughout the Americas and worldwide.
XTERRA Certified Coach benefits include promotion of the XTERRA Certified Coach’s Services to the XTERRA athlete community through:
- A dedicated Coaching section on the XTERRAPlanet.com website. Coaches are grouped by region and each coach is featured with a profile photo, experience and certification information, and contact email and phone.
- Content contributed to XTERRA’s website and social media with training tips, videos and articles which serve to promote them as coaches.
- Promotion of the Certified Coach’s camps or clinics via XTERRA’s global and regional channels.
- Exposure to XTERRA event participants in conjunction with official event training camps, clinics or pre-ride/run/swim.
- “Coach of the Month” feature on XTERRAPlanet.com which will rotate among Coaches and will include an interview designed to spotlight the Coach.
About Josiah Middaugh:
I have been coaching athletes for longer than I have been racing as an elite. My athletes have included multiple XTERRA age group world champions, elite XTERRA Pan American Champions, Kona Ironman qualifiers, Olympic trials marathoners, and athletes competing in all endurance genres. Although coaching elite athletes is very stimulating for me, it is equally rewarding to introduce new athletes to the sport and guide athletes of all abilities towards their fitness and racing goals.
My coaching philosophy is based on science, intense personal experience, and athlete feedback. Athletes of all abilities can benefit from proven scientific principles. Providing direction and accountability involves stepping out of your comfort zone to do the types of workouts you might not be inclined to do on your own, but produce results when managed and sequenced properly. Training and racing is rewarding when reality matches your expectations.
Experience: 19 years.
- XTERRA Certified
- B.S. in Health Promotion and Rehabilitation, Central Michigan University (2000)
- Masters Degree in Human Movement (Kinesiology) from A.T. Still University (2012)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (2000-Present)
Cost: $399 per person
Tentative schedule is as follows:
|Monday, July 19|
|9:00am||Intro, welcome to XTERRA, Principles of XTERRA Coaching (Game Creek Room, Westin)|
|11:00am||Nottingham Lake, mountain bike skills coaching on grass (Ride from the Westin or meet at park, bring wetsuit)|
|12:00pm||Nottingham Lake, open water swim coaching, water safety|
|1:00pm||Lunch at the park (provided)|
|3:00pm||Running form drills on the grass, Nottingham Lake Park|
|4:00pm||Gym, corrective exercise for swim, bike, run (Athletic Club at the Westin)|
|5:00pm||Day 1 wrap up|
|Tuesday, July 20|
|7:30am||Pool swim at Westin, coaching from the deck, stretch cords|
|9:00am||Classroom, XTERRA specific bike and run programming|
|12:00pm||Lunch on your own [break]|
|1:00pm||Mountain Bike Skill ride on trails, Avon Preserve|
|3:00pm||Trail running skills, Avon Preserve|
|4:30pm||Day 2 wrap up, at Nottingham Lake Park, Topic: Hosting a camp, liability and safety concerns|
|Wednesday, July 21|
|7:30am||Pool swim with underwater video|
|9:00am||Swimming Video analysis, Performing a bike tempo or threshold workout (Game Creek Room)|
|10:30am||Mountain bike, sustained climbing on XTERRA Beaver Creek course (Elkhorn?)|
|1:00pm||Lunch at Lift Cafe (Westin)|
|2:00pm||Training Metrics, assessment and feedback|
|4:30pm||Certificate presentation, wrap-up (Game Creek Room)|
The XTERRA Coach Camp is held in conjunction with the XTERRA Beaver Creek triathlon on July 17, 2021.
Race information is here.
The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa is Camp headquarters and offers special rates to participants:
$249/night plus taxes and reduced resort fee @ $10/night and parking @ $10/night.
Book your room now: https://book.passkey.com/e/50196790
There are plentiful options available in the Vail Valley.
Fly to Eagle County Airport (EGE) – 27 miles away, or drive from Denver International (DEN) – 129 miles away. Note: Westin does not provide shuttle service.
Hertz is XTERRA’s Preferred Car Rental Agency and offers 5% off all rentals to XTERRA participants, friends and family. Use code 2213376 when you book your car. Book now.
From either airport (reservations required):
Epic Mountain Express 970-754-7433
Estimated fares to hotel from EGE: $100 (one way). From Denver to hotel: $250 (one way)
From Eagle Airport:
Exit Airport on Cooley Mesa Rd, turn right on to US-6 E. At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit onto Grand Ave. Follow traffic circles onto Eby Creek Rd, take the first exit onto the I-70 ramp going East. Follow I-70 E to Avon (19.8 mi) and take exit 167 toward Avon. Keep right and merge onto Avon Rd. Follow Avon Rd. and turn right onto Riverfront Lane, resort will be on the left.
From Denver Airport:
Take I-70 West from Denver (113 miles), take exit 167 toward Avon, continue on Avon Rd through roundabouts and turn right on Riverfront Lane. Resort is on the left.
- 18 years of age or older
- Hold a level triathlon coach qualification or a diploma as a professional triathlon coach
- Have at least 2 years of XTERRA or cross-triathlon coaching experience
- Have finished no less than two XTERRA full course triathlon
- Hold first aid and CPR certifications
All applicants must email a letter of interest, including the motivation to work with their local and the broader XTERRA community. Send your email to Head Coach, Josiah Middaugh josiah.middaugh [at] xterraplanet.com (here).
Email Head Coach, Josiah Middaugh americascoach [at] xterraplanet.com (here).