Elite Racing Information
QUALIFYING FOR 2021 XTERRA WORLDS – MUST RACE ONE RULE
To compete at the 2021 XTERRA World Championship elite athletes are required to race at least one XTERRA event, then request an entry by emailing pro [at] xterraplanet.com.
There are four notable exceptions to the rule, which are granted to athletes actively racing for a spot on their nation’s Olympic team or competing at the Olympics in 2021; 2) sponsor exemptions, 3) COVID-19 related travel complications, and 4) extenuating circumstances due to injury.
- Athletes actively racing for a spot on their nation’s Olympic team will be exempt from the “must race one” rule in 2021 with the understanding they will be confined to a strict schedule.
- Sponsors exemptions are allowed. The decision as to who receives the sponsor exemptions is made by the managing director in conjunction with each sponsor.
- The managing director can use their best judgment on a case-by-case basis in determining COVID-19 related travel complications that kept an athlete from competing in a qualified race.
- The managing director can use their best judgment on a case-by-case basis in determining severity of injuries that kept an athlete from competing in a qualified race.
Athletes interested in receiving a sponsor exemption or wish to explain non-compliance due to injury should email XTERRA at pro [at] xterraplanet.com.
Any racer wanting to enter as an elite/professional must furnish proof that they have been accepted as a professional by a recognized multisport governing body. Examples of this are:
- USA Triathlon
- USA Cycling (road, cyclocross, track or mountain bike)
- Any national governing body for triathlon
- Any national governing body for cycling
The athlete must present a current card marked clearly and legibly. Without proof of being licensed as a professional, athletes may not compete in the elite category. If your country does not issue elite cards, request a letter from the president of your federation granting permission for you to represent your country as a professional in international competition. Write pro [at] xterraplanet.com with questions.
USA TRIATHLON REQUIREMENTS
Athletes wishing to race as an elite off-road triathlete in any USAT sanctioned event must hold an elite license. XTERRA Oak Mountain, XTERRA Beaver Creek, the XTERRA USA Championship, and the XTERRA World Championship are all USAT sanctioned events. Foreign athletes may apply to USA Triathlon for a Foreign Elite License. Every person who races must have a valid USA Triathlon membership or purchase a one-day membership before being allowed to compete. Learn more about USAT Elite Membership.