Malta Comino Swimrun
For full information and event status of XTERRA Comino Swimrun, contact nathan [at] maltaxterra.com.
ABOUT Stay Connected With Updates
WHAT: XTERRA Comino Swimrun
WHEN: September 21, 2021
WHERE: Comino, Gozo, Malta (map it)
Following the success of the past 3 Comino swimruns, we are back with the 2021 Edition to swim and run around the little island of Comino! SwimRunning combines short swims and trail running in beautiful scenery in an intermittent sequence. Yep, you run, then swim, then run and swim, and so on, over the course carefully mapped out by our experienced XTERRA team to give you a sporting experience like no other! The XTERRA SwimRun compliments the Triathlon and Trail Running XTERRA events in Malta and Gozo. Since we’ve covered Malta and Gozo already, the SwimRun event will be held on the island of Comino, one of our island's most iconic nature reserves, that continues on the XTERRA philosophy of challenging yourself in nature.
The event is a sprint distance with a total swim of 2km and a total run of 8km (approx) with the longest swim section of around 500m. The event caters equally to seasoned swimrunners competing for the top spots and also for the newcomers to the sport who compete for the experience and to challenge themselves! The run route will therefore be held on designated pathways and not extreme trail.
CREATE A TEAM! As in the SwimRun tradition, individuals need to buddy up and participate in pairs ie you start and cross the finish line together with both of you swimming and running the course. The team’s finish time is counted when both participants cross the finish line. Unlike purely individual sports, SwimRun gives an opportunity for mixed-gender teams to compete as well as single-gender teams, and for friends to have a great time training and participating together! You must participate in teams of 2. If you don’t have a buddy yet, post in the Facebook Event on the XTERRA Malta page and you're virtually sure to find one :) Once you are a team of 2, the first person needs to CREATE A TEAM and choose a TEAM NAME. The second person then needs to JOIN A TEAM and choose the TEAM NAME from the dropdown menu. BOTH ATHLETES NEED TO REGISTER AND PROCESS THEIR PAYMENT TO CONFIRM THE TEAM WHAT TO WEAR: Some basic equipment is advised, including tri-suit or tight-fitted sportswear, wetsuit if you wish, and swim goggles and regular running or trail shoes, preferably ones that drain easily as you will need to swim with your shoes and clothes..Paddles and swim buoys are allowed, but not mandatory.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
XTERRA COMINO SWIMRUN
- 07:45 Meet-Up at Marfa Quay opposite Riviera Hotel.
- PLS WEAR A MASK AND WE WILL TAKE YOUR TEMPERATURE
- 08:00 Boat departs SHARP
- 09:00 Drop bags in the designated area and walk to START
- 09:30 Race START
- 11:30 Trophies given to winners
- 12.00 Return Boat to Marfa
XTERRA COMINO SWIMRUN
SwimRun in Comino is a mix of continuous alternating running and swimming over a 9Km distance, with the swim part consisting of around 20% of the total distance over 4 swims. The race starts and ends with a run!
All participants will receive a finisher's medal, swim cap, souvenir t-shirt & winners of each category ie Male Team, Female Team and Mixed Team will get an XTERRA Malta Trophy each!
RULES & REGULATIONS
- Teams must be of 2 persons. They must start and finish each segment of swim or run, and cross the finish line, as a team.
- Team members must be 18 years or older.
- Teams must wear the swim cap provided by the organisers. A wetsuit is allowed but not mandatory.
- Paddles and swim buoys are allowed, but not mandatory
- Shoes must be worn throughout.
- Tops (or tri suits) must be worn throughout by all participants.
- Race marking will be made on exposed hands/arms or legs
- No equipment can be discarded.
- Xterra Run Signs & Tape mark the route - marshals are there for safety & support, NOT to direct, so pay attention to the signs!
- Flags mark entry and exit from the sea - you must enter or exit the sea within 10m of these flags, not further.
- Marshals en route may check your number and report any short-cutting or littering, leading to disqualification.
- Route may change and exclude some swims if the weather is bad.
- No equipment can be discarded.
- DO NOT THROW GELS OR CUPS anywhere on the route, doing so will result in immediate disqualification.
- No External Assistance allowed
Please check travel restrictions and information from the official authorities before you travel.
There are various hotels and apartments in the surroundings of the race venues to suit all budgets!
The XTERRA Malta race experience is enhanced by our amazing team of volunteers, most of whom are athletes themselves, are closely related to one or who simply love sport! Our volunteers love being part of a community and making the athlete experience an amazing one by cheering them along the way, ensuring they take the right direction and keeping them hydrated and safe! Our volunteers also get a free race entry to a next XTERRA Malta event so we are constantly looking out for Sunshine Stars to join the team! If you’re interested reach out to us. :)
OTHER GREAT XTERRA MALTA EVENTS
The Hellfire Team behind XTERRA Malta is a small group of passionate people that care about the environment and human experience. We believe that our challenges should be seen as a personal journey, and not a race against a competitor. We hope that you will appreciate our informal approach, flexibility and somewhat limited resources in organising such an event, which is surely made up for by our tireless energy and positive attitude. We also trust that you will extend this sportsmanship to your fellow competitors if you see they are in need.
Contact XTERRA Malta
Contact: Nathan Farrugia
Email: nathan [at] maltaxterra.com