In this edition of Pilates for XTERRA Heather Palmer leads us in a lower body sculpting routine to strengthen the muscles that stabilize the ankles, knees, and hips.
“Stronger Joints = Better Performance,” said Palmer. “Balance is involved to complete these exercises so, and as with all Pilates workouts, the core will be recruited.”
Sculpted Lower Body Program
1. Start in a standing position with feet together:
- Raise heels then squat back. While holding squat position, slowly lower heels to the ground then squeeze inner thighs together to come to a standing position again. Repeat 3 times then reverse this flow.
- Stand in a Pilates V position with heels touching and toes pointing out, externally rotating from the hip. Repeat the above flow in this position.
- Walk heels out so you are now standing with feet hip width apart and repeat above flow in this position.
2. Side laying on mat with hips stacked and legs straight:
- Top leg- Leg Lifts x8
- Leg arches x8
- Leg circles forward and backward 4 each direction
- Bottom Leg- Lift to Leg Arches to Leg Circles forward and backward
- Roll over to other side and complete these exercises on this side
Heather Palmer is NASM and AFFA certified personal trainer, Pilates, Barre, and indoor cycling instructor based in Oahu, HI. She discovered Pilates after suffering from a back injury, and was so impressed with the changes she saw and felt in her own body she became a Pilates instructor so she could help others do the same.
Past Pilates for XTERRA Videos: