What’s in Sam’s Bag?!
In this week’s mountain bike tips & tricks series from the Planet Bike workshop in Rotorua we find out “what’s in Sam Osborne’s bag,” a detailed look at everything the two-time XTERRA Asia-Pacific Tour Champion takes to his races across the globe.
Newcomers may find this video a bit intimidating, but keep in mind that Osborne is a master at “race-craft” and this set-up is optimized for a man at the very highest level of the sport.
The checklist is long and eye-opening, providing a brilliant look into what it takes to be truly prepared for race travel. A couple key takeaways;
“Put your gas cannisters in your toiletry bag, not your bike bag, as I can get them through TSA every time because they think its shaving cream,” said Osborne. “And pack a derailleur hanger – it’s the most common thing to get bent during travel and the hardest thing to find when you arrive at your destination if you’re riding something that’s a little bit out of the normal.”
- Tire Sealant
- Cleaning Spray and brush (for the dry clean)
- Chain lubricant
- Torque wrench – most valuable thing that doesn’t weigh a ton
- Tire plugs
- Tire levers
- Brake pads
- Allan key set
- T10 Torx key
- Bike chain gap
- Spare tube
- Mud guard
- Chain ring
- Extra torx bolts for changing chain rings
- Torx key
- Boa lacing system – dial and wire
- Seat post clamp
- Spare crank bolt
- Cassette and chain tool
- 2 sets of tires (more on that in this video)
- Track pump
- Airshot tubeless tire inflator (absolute must have)
- Spare valves
- Gas cannisters (put in toiletry bag so TSA thinks its shaving cream)
- Most left behind thing, derailleur hanger – personal thing to your bike. It’s the most common thing to get bent during travel and the hardest thing to get that’s a little bit out of the normal
- Shock pump
- Disc brake savers
- Radix nutrition, not a tool, but you’re not always going to get the food you need when you travel. Radix has really good freeze dried meals so you know what you’re getting, its nutritious, tastes good and it won’t make us sick.
Bike bag tip, get one with solid wheels at the back and a handle really low down, and add a little more foam to the existing padding
Find more tips and tricks from Mr. Osborne – winner of more XTERRA World Tour majors than anyone in 2019 – in the XTERRA Connect section.