XTERRA Ambassador Eric Barton's Favorite Workouts
We all know that great performances don't just happen. They are earned through months, or even years, of training.
It's obvious that great athletes prioritize their workouts, make squeaky clean lifestyle choices, and commit to their training plans. But specifically, what do they do that puts them on the podium?
Eric Barton, XTERRA Ambassador and XTERRA Big Elk 21K Champ admits that he trained specifically for the half marathon distance. He's been running competitively for over eight years, including high school and college, so he has the confidence and endurance to carry him through.
"I spent the last month specifically training for the XTERRA Big Elk 21K," said Barton. "The first two weeks I just had my mileage up around 55 miles, the third week around 65 miles and a 50 mile week before the race. There were also two workouts that really hurt, but made me realize I was ready."
- 1 Mile warm-up + drills
- 2 mile tempo run at sub-six minute pace (5:55/ 5:58)
- 8 x 1000 at 5:36/mile pace with a 2:30 recovery jog between each
- (Barton's times were: 3:22, 3:21, 3:20, 3:20, 3:19, 3:17, 3:18, 3:15)
- 1 mile tempo at sub-six minute race pace (5:35)
- 1.5 mile cool-down
Total =10.5 miles for the day
- 1 Mile Warm-up
- 3 x 2-mile repeats at sub-six minute pace (11:56, 11:40, 11:30)
- 1 Mile cool down
Total = 8 miles for the day
Learn more about XTERRA's Couch to Trail training program at www.XTERRAplanet.com.
Photo Courtesy of Danielle Vennard