EPC Tips - Super Threshold Bike Session
This 'pyramid' interval session on the bike targets the 'super-threshold' zone for getting familiar with efforts over your lactate threshold. The bulk of the main set targets efforts at, and just above, your threshold power. Then you finish with a few short blasts at your Vo2 Max to Anaerobic Power zones to prepare for (or maintain) the higher intensity efforts. Designed to be done on the trainer, this session can also be easily modified for outdoor riding on both the road or the trail.
- 10:00 spin-up to max cadence
- 2:00 easy
- 5:00 build to threshold power
- 3:00 easy
- 2-3x[1:00/2:00/3:00/2:00/1:00 @ strong effort (100-110% threshold power/zone 4-5), 1:30 easy between each interval]
- 5:00 bonus rest between each set
- 1x[0:30/0:45/1:00/0:45/0:30 @ hard effort (120-150% threshold power/zone 5), on a 2:00 interval]
- 5:00 @ high cadence (110+ rpm)
- 5:00 spin-down
Written by Cody Waite, professional endurance athlete, endurance sport coach and founder of Endurance Performance Coaching. Looking for help with your training for 2015? Check out EPC’s Personal Coaching, Group Coaching, and Custom Training Plan options created to fit your needs and budget.