WELCOME TO MAUI
The XTERRA World Championship is the grand finale of the XTERRA World Tour, a global series of off-road triathlons spanning twenty-eight countries and qualifying athletes to race on Maui. In addition to the main event, we offer all a chance to “Live More” with XTERRA Kapalua Trail Runs and Keiki K, XTERRA University “how to” sessions with the elites, two star-studded dinners, and much more. It’s a celebration not to be missed.
PACKET PICKUP / EXPO HOURS
Location: XTERRA Village, Salon Ballroom, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua.
Wednesday, October 25 and Thursday, October 26 9am – 2pm
Friday, October 27 9am – 5pm
Saturday, October 28 9am – 4pm
Note: You will not be allowed to ride the Upper Bike Course without your race number. Guests may also ride, but must purchase a $15 USA Triathlon one-day membership at registration and display the practice course number on their bike.
What to Bring to Triathlete Packet Pickup:
- Photo ID
- USA Triathlon membership card, if applicable
- US$15 or credit card if you have not purchased a USA Triathlon one-day license online. USA Triathlon membership is mandatory for all athletes.
Services Available at the XTERRA Village Expo:
- Packet Pickup
- Registration (new entries for 2.5k/5K/10K Trail Runs and Keiki K)
- Dinner ticket sales (if available, a sell-out is likely)
- Vendor Booths
- Bike tech – West Maui Cycles and Krank Cycles 9
- XTERRA University Clinics
- Parking ticket validation (also at the bell desk at the front of the hotel)
Race Number Packet Contents and Instructions
- Bike plate* – please attach this to your handle bars using the cable ties provided
- Runner bib* – please attach this in the FRONT of your body using the safety pins provided OR your race belt
- Race number/division tattoos – please apply the night before the race to the UPPER FRONT of both arms, back of your left leg, and back of your hand, per the instructions.
- Dinner tickets for Night of Champions and Awards Dinners, including those purchased online. *cutting/alteration of bike plate/run bib is not allowed.
After you pick up your race number packet, visit the event t-shirt pickup counter and collect your official race shirt and Muscle Milk bag of partner goodies.
TIMING CHIP PICKUP
You are responsible for picking up your timing chip. Timing chips will be available in the XTERRA Village during the following days/times:
- Friday, October 27 – 9am-5pm
- Saturday, October 28 – 9am-4pm
- Sunday, October 29 – 7am in the finish area.
Instructions: Strap the chip to your left ankle. Return your chip to our team after you cross the finish line to ensure you receive an official time. Chips not returned will incur a $50 USD replacement fee.
RACE DAY IMPORTANT TIMES
- 7am – Transition open
- 7am – Swim cap/timing chip distribution/body marking (if needed) – outside of transition
- 8am – Individual race blessing by Kupuna Clifford Naeole – DT Fleming Beach
- 8:30am – Transition closed.
- 8:45am – Pre-swimming ends. Race blessing
- 8:50am – Race briefing
- 8:55am – National anthem
- 9:00am – XTERRA World Championship Elite men start
- 9:01am – XTERRA World Championship Elite women start
- 9:04am – AGE GROUP MEN Under 39 start
- 9:07am – AGE GROUP MEN 40-49 start
- 9:10am – AGE GROUP MEN 50+, Challenged and Organizers start
- 9:13am – AGE GROUP WOMEN, Challenged and Organizers start
- 1:30pm – Pro Awards at the finish stage
- 2pm – Cut-off at T1. You will not be allowed to continue on the run course. An XTERRA official will notify you if you have not met the cut-off
- 3:30pm – Transition closed and all equipment removed
MANDATORY RACE BRIEFING
Date: Saturday, October 28 Time: 12pm
Location: Aloha Garden Ballroom, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua.
All XTERRA World Championship participants must attend this briefing that follows XTERRA University’s “Art of XTERRA”. Race staff will run through the ins and outs of the World Championship race course. You will have the opportunity to ask any questions you might have. A short race briefing will be held at 8:50am at the race start.
NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS AND AWARDS DINNERS
Dates: Friday, October 27th at 6:30pm and Sunday, October 29th at 7pm
Location: Aloha Garden Ballroom, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua.
Cost: Free to competitors with valid wristband – Tickets available online and at registration until sold out
On Friday night we will celebrate your accomplishment in making it to the starting line on Maui. We will introduce this year’s XTERRA Warrior and XTERRA Hall of Fame inductee. It’s a night not to be missed.
Relive your day on Sunday night at our awards dinner. Commiserate with your fellow off-road warriors, celebrate your accomplishment and soak in the sights, sounds and images captured by our crew of television and photography professionals.
Free to competitors wearing ORANGE/YELLOW WRISTBAND. No exceptions. Limited guest tickets will be sold at registration. Cost: Adults $84 / Children 4-12 $42. No tickets sold at the door. Friends and family unable to buy dinner tickets are permitted to watch the ceremonies (no dinner included). Please check in at the reception desk for entry.
THE GREATEST AFTER-PARTY IN ALL OF TRIATHLON
If there is one thing XTERRA takes extremely serious, it’s partying, and no place on earth is this more apparent than at the annual Halloween Costume Party following the XTERRA World Championship in Maui.
It’s got all the right ingredients – an international crowd of inebriated athletes after their last race of the season – IN MAUI – all adding up to a brew of pure fun, frivolity, and hilarity.
Nothing is sacred, from full reenactments of the winning routine from Blades of Glory to 80’s ski team revivals and petite Chinese gymnasts to the one-&-only Crocodile Undie!
It’s been said that some people take this party more seriously than they do the race, while others deem it the
final event of the season – one that requires a considerable amount of endurance all to itself.
A few years ago Triathlete Magazine said the Maui XTERRA had the best post-race festivities on earth.
“When it comes to putting it all together post-race, the XTERRA World Championship in Maui does things right. No other triathletes party quite like the freaks of the XTERRA circuit. So train hard, qualify for Maui and then be sure to pack a killer Halloween costume. Seriously, that’s not a trick. Make it a good costume.”
Please note: This is a private party for XTERRA athletes, friends and family only. It is not open to the public and children are not permitted.
Competitors 21 and under are prohibited from consuming alcoholic beverages. Picture ID and wrist band is required for all participants.
Admission is free to XTERRA competitors, friends and family wearing Awards Dinner wrist band. Friends and family who did not attend the dinner, will be admitted, but must enter the party with their competitor and will receive a wrist band at the door.
PARTICIPATING BIKE SHOPS AND BIKE TECHS
Krank Cycles is a full service bike shop offering rental, repairs and sales. The will be on-site at the XTERRA Expo at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua.
1120 Makawao Ave Makawao, HI 96768
West Maui Cycles in Lahaina is the closest bike shop to the new Kapalua XTERRA venue. They are a full service bike shop offering bicycle rentals, bike repairs and bicycle sales.
1087 Limahana Pl, #6
Lahaina, Hawaii 96761
Maui Cyclery is a full service bike shop with sales, rentals, wrenchmen and more. They also offer bike tours for the entire family. A “cycling experience” which is more like a fantasy bike camp for riders and less of a traditional guided bike tour.
99 Hana Hwy, Paia, HI 96779
MOUNTAIN BIKE RENTALS
- Full service bike shop
- Full box and packing at Ritz also discounted shipping with our service.
- Over 50 mountain rentals
- Certified techs
- Fox and SRAM certified
- Professional suspension tuning and set up
South Maui Cycles
FAA REQUIRED NOTICE TO RACE PARTICIPANTS
2017 XTERRA Competition Kapalua, Maui FAA-Required Notice to Race Participants
During this race, you will be filmed by helicopter flying at low altitudes.
The commercial helicopter operator is a local company with many years of television and motion picture filming in the Hawaiian Islands, including most of the 20 years of shooting XTERRA. The flight crew and ground crew is also highly experienced and professional.
The flight operation is conducted in compliance with all applicable FAA regulations and with the highest degree of safety as a top priority.
However, this operation will expose you to a certain degree of risk. In the unlikely event of an emergency this could result in bodily harm to you or even death.
By signing in to participate in this event you are confirming that you have read this notification, understand the implications and agree to personally accept the risks involved.
If you are not willing to accept this risk, DO NOT sign in and DO NOT participate in the race.