TIPS FOR THE TRAIL - RUNNING IN PARADISE
What does it really mean to "Live More?" For some it is facing challenges with determination and tenacity. For others, it means dreaming of adventure and doing what it takes to fulfill their greatest aspirations. For many, it is being afraid, yet having the courage to look directly at that fear, while learning how to melt it into grace. For myself, it equates to looking inside my heart and soul and inquiring what it seeks the most, and then doing all possible to play it out. By choosing to "Live More," we are led to experience how incredible life is, while celebrating how powerful and amazing we truly are.
While there are many incredible experiences XTERRA provides for athletes to "Live More," there is nothing like an opportunity to race a world championship to exemplify the mantra. Since the inaugural XTERRA Trail Run World Championship race in 2008, XTERRA has welcomed thousands of athletes from throughout the world of all ability levels to race at Kualoa Ranch. It is one of the few World Championships in any genre to have no qualifying factor. This is amazing in itself.
XTERRA Trail Run Worlds are held literally in paradise. The setting is the diverse and breathtaking scene for many movies such as, Jurassic Park, 50 first dates and the television series LOST. Yet there is a stark difference between watching the background on a screen, embracing the landscape in person. You create your own running reality as an athlete engulfed in some of the most beautiful scenery and challenging terrain, as you follow your own adventurous heart. In tune with most of XTERRA's trail races, a 21K half-marathon serves as the championship course, but there are also 10K and 5K races so all can enjoy one of Hawaii's most beautiful settings.
Nine different countries already on board
The XTERRA Trail Run World Championship is truly living up to its title. Runners from nine different countries and more than 30 states are already registered to participate in the 2013 XTERRA Trail Run World Championship at Kualoa Ranch, Hawaii, on November 24.
There are still six weeks remaining to join the list, but we suggest you register now rather than later to guarantee yourself an event shirt and save some money. Entry fees will increase in a month, and only the first 2,000 registered runners are guaranteed to receive a race t-shirt.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER ONLINE
The event is open to runners of all ages and abilities, and there are three courses to choose from. The 21-kilometer half-marathon course will serve as the championship race, but there are also 10K and 5K courses available.
An “adventure walk” is also available for those who want to take a leisurely stroll through some of the locations within Kualoa Ranch that were used as backdrops for blockbuster movies such as Jurassic Park, Godzilla, 50 First Dates and Pearl Harbor.
ARIZONA SERIES OPENS SEASON WITH NEW WINNERS
McGowan and Smith make victorious debuts
A new season brought some new - and very fast - runners to the XTERRA Arizona Trail Run Series.
Gabe McGowan and Margaret Smith both made victorious debuts in the Arizona Series by winning their respective divisions of the XTERRA Estrella Mountain Trail Run. More than 350 runners participated in the event, which was completed on October 6 at Estrella Mountain Regional Park in Goodyear, Arizona.
McGowan, 24, was the overall winner of the 20-kilometer course, finishing with a record time of 1 hour, 17 minutes, 54 seconds. Smith, 33, was the top female, finishing with a women's course record of 1:36:51.
"This was my first time entering any of the XTERRA races," said McGowan, who works as a hydrologist for a consulting firm in Tucson. "I moved to Arizona from North Carolina in 2012. For a variety of reasons, I had just been doing my own thing with my running. This year I found myself running well and wanting a specific goal. I Googled 'Phoenix trail races' and found the XTERRA Series."
ARE YOUR FEET READY FOR MAUI?
Whether you’re preparing for the XTERRA World Championship or the Kapalua Trail Run, your feet are going to take a beating. Make sure youʼre giving yourself top advantage: invest in a pair of 100% Custom Molded Footbeds. Heat molded, FootBalance custom footbeds contour perfectly to your unique feet, providing the extra support and dynamic shock absorption you need to run your best race.
Footbalance Footbeds support your feet properly to help:
• Improve overall running form for better endurance
• Prevent harmful wear on tissues and joints
• Reduce inefficient foot motion for improved performance
• Reduce the risk of stress injuries
Footbalance Footbeds support your feet properly to help:
• Improve power transfer and efficiency
• Protect against premature wear on knee and hip joints
• Improve alignment, reducing the risk of stress injuries
• Alleviate pressure on your feet for better comfort and endurance
Stop by the Footbalance booth at XTERRA Worlds in Kapalua, Maui between October 23rd-27th and receive a pair of 100% custom molded footbeds, made on-the-spot in less than 10 minutes for only $49.95 (Reg. $80). Your feet will thank you!
BUSY OCTOBER ON THE XTERRA CIRCUIT
Six races in five different states coming up
The remainder of this month will be a busy one on the XTERRA Trail Run circuit, as the next three weeks will feature six races in five different states.
- The XTERRA Hawaii Trail Run Series will make its debut this month, with races on back-to-back weekends. The XTERRA Gunstock Ranch Trail Run will take place on October 19 at Laie, Oahu. That will be followed by the XTERRA Kapalua Trail Runs on October 26 at Kapalua, Maui. The 10K course at Kapalua will be the same trails used a day later by the world's greatest off-road triathletes in the XTERRA World Championship triathlon.
- The XTERRA Washington Trail Run Series will open its 2013-14 season this Saturday, October 12, with the XTERRA Harvest Trail Run at Kenmore, Washington. The event will feature a 21K half-marathon and a 10K, and it will be the first of three races in the Washington Series.
- The XTERRA SoCal Trail Run Series will open its 2013-14 season this Sunday, October 13, with the XTERRA Point Mugu Trail Run at Malibu/Oxnard, California. A capacity field of more than 600 runners is expected to participate in the event, which will feature two courses – 18K and 11K.
For more information on these races or others coming up later in the year, please visit www.xterratrailrun.com.
XTERRA T-SHIRTS BY SONADEI