XTERRA Mountain Championship & Beaver Creek Sprint
BEAVER CREEK, CO - JULY 19, 2014
XTERRA returns to Beaver Creek / Avon, CO for the 2014 XTERRA Mountain Championship.
XTERRA Mountain Championship events include a full-length XTERRA championship race, a shorter distance XTERRA Sprint race as well as 5/10/21km trail runs.
Paul Mitchell stylists will be on-site giving professional hair cuts in exchange for a $15 (or more) donation to the Challenged Athletes Foundation. 100% of the proceeds benefit CAF.
XTERRA Mountain Championship – 1 mile swim / 25km mountain bike / 9.3 km trail run
XTERRA Beaver Creek Sprint – .5 mile swim / 14.4km mountain bike / 4.9km trail run
*Course routes are subject to change.
XTERRA WETSUIT POLICY - If water temps drop below 70 degrees, wetsuits are required for age group racers. A final determination and official announcement will be made onsite. Please check the bulletin board at registration for updates.
A .5 or 1 mile swim in Avon’s Nottingham Lake will kick off the point-to-point race. This is a 1 or 2 lap, rectangular course and a 10 minute warm up is allowed before the race begins. The starting gun will be fired at 8:15am for sprint racers / 9:00 a.m for full XTERRA racers, with swimmers staged in waves. Average water temperature is between 67 and 71 degrees. Athletes will be given a plastic bag with a race number at registration/packet pick-up. Please use this bag for all belongings used at T1 for transfer by Race Personnel to finish area in Beaver Creek Village.
After the swim, racers transition to the mountain bike course. Ride out to pavement and get ready to climb for 2,200 feet or 3,600 feet of elevation gain. The off-road uphill climb goes along the trails of Bachelor Gulch, Arrowhead and Beaver Creek:
Riders leave T1 via the bike path around the north side of the Lake.
- Turn left onto paved West Beaver Creek Blvd (Intersection will be marshaled during race)
- Continue over railroad tracks and across HWY 6 (Police controlled intersection during race)
- Turn left at skier parking lot and pick up a paved bike path at the end of the lot
- Cross over Prater Road and hit the dirt at the top of the Riverfront Gondola
- Total pavement leaving lake is approximately 1 mile – Great chance to get the legs cranking!
- Follow trail at top of Gondola and cross under Lower BC Express chairlift. You are on the Elkhorn Trail (some steep climbs)
- After you cross under the second lift, you will intersect the “Village to Village Trail”. This is where you will see the first Aid Station
- Sprint Course racers will take a left onto “Village to Village Trail” at the Aid Station, immediately crossing over the paved road and follow signs to FINISH bike portion
- Full Course racers will climb up the paved “Strawberry Park” road for .9 miles (Full XTERRA racers only)
- After climbing the .9 miles, turn right onto “Daybreak Ridge Trail”. (Full XTERRA racers only)
- At the high point on the trail, turn right onto “Primrose Trail”/ gravel service Road (Full XTERRA racers only)
- At the top of the Arrowhead Lift, you will pass through descending to the West on askiway, just after you pass by the Arrowhead Yurt on the switchback, you will make a SHARP LEFT TURN onto a winding downhill single track “Arrowhead Mt. Trail” (Full XTERRA racers only)
- When you intersect the “Village to Village Trail”, head back across Arrowhead and Bachelor Gulch ski slopes, then back through the Aid Station (Full XTERRA racers only)
- Cross over Strawberry Park paved road and follow signs on “Village to Village Trail”
- Turn hard LEFT onto Beaver Lake Trail and connect to Alley’s Way.
- Turn right at the gravel service road “Cinch” for a short, approx. .2 miles up to the “Cork Screw Trail”
- Turn left off “Cinch” service road and descend into “Corkscrew” – singletrack switchbacks with small root drops
- Continue on “Lower Corkscrew” singletrack / service roads into T2
Runners hit the trails for a 3 mile/ 5.75 mile run through aspen glades, along skyways andsingletrack, returning to the base of Beaver Creek Village for the post-race party! There is an elevation gain of 700 or 1,300 feet.
- Exit T2 – a slight climb to service road under Chair 1 – Gondola
- Cross Kiva skier bridge over paved road and turn left down hill, paralleling road
- Turn Right onto “Buddie’s Way” single track, this turns into a double track skiway
- Turn Left onto “Aspen Glade” singletrack
- At “Cinch” service road, turn right, follow this down below the horse stables.
- Just past the road bend below the stables, turn left onto “Village Loop” single track.
- When you intersect “Cinch”, turn left. Sprint racers will then take an immediate right to the finish!
- Full XTERRA racers continue left on “Cinch” past an aid station and turn left up onto “Five Senses” singletrack after crossing over Beaver Creek
- “Five Senses” intersects “Village Rd.” for a few hundred feet then back onto dirt trail, follow this up to intersect with “Beaver Lake Trail” service road at this point.
- Turn left up service road and then shortly after a right onto “Lost Buck Spur” singletrack.
- As you cross under ski lift #12, follow “Stack-it” single track across then down hill.
- Follow “Stack-it” below “Lost Buck” service road and the water tank.
- When “Stack-it” intersects “Lost Buck”, take this service road to the bottom
- Cross “Strawberry Park Skier Bridge” to Finish!
XTERRA Championship Maps
Click image for a larger version
XTERRA follows the Swimming Conduct rules for Wetsuit Use established by the International Triathlon Union (ITU) at all Championship Races (Vegas, Pelham, Richmond, Beaver Creek), the XTERRA USA Championship (Utah), all XTERRA World Tour events, and the XTERRA World Championship. Here are the specifics of the ITU Wetsuit Use Rules:
- Wetsuits are mandatory for Age Group athletes if the water temperature is BELOW 57 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees C)
- Wetsuits are permitted for Age Group athletes if the water temperature is AT or BELOW 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees C)
- Wetsuits are forbidden for Age Group athletes if the water temperature is ABOVE 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees C)
- Wetsuits are mandatory for Professional athletes if the water temperature is BELOW 57 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees C)
- Wetsuits are permitted for Professional athletes if the water temperature is AT or BELOW 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees C).
- Wetsuits are forbidden for Professional athletes if the water temperature is ABOVE 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees C)
RENT A WETSUIT
You can rent the fastest and most flexible triathlon wetsuit on the market. XTERRA Wetsuits is offering full or sleeveless wetsuit rentals. Extended rental periods are available.
Check them out at http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/store/index.php/pro
MOUNTAIN CHAMPS TRAINING CAMP
Join Cody Waite and EPC Multisport June 12-15th in Winter Park, Colorado for their XTERRA Mountain Championship Training Camp.
The four-day, high-altitude training camp is specifically structured for those peaking for the XTERRA championship race at Beaver Creek in July. The daily schedule will be packed full of training; participants can choose to attend which (or ALL) sessions they want to do. The basic theme will be ‘high intensity’ the first two days, followed by ‘race pace’ training the last two days, including the Winter Park MTB Hill Climb on the third day. The four-day, high-intensity training block will create the perfect stimulus to recover from and have you reach peak fitness by mid-July.
Beaver Creek, CO
July 19-20, 2014
Thursday, July 18 – Avon:
5:30-7:30pm Nottingham Lake open for community swim ($5)
Friday, July 19 – Beaver Creek Village:
2:00-8:00pm Late Registration and Packet Pickup
2:00-8:00pm Expo Open
4:00-5:00pm Nottingham Lake open for Swim Practice
5:00-6:00pm XTERRA University and Race Briefing presented by Paul Mitchell. Hosted by Josiah Middaugh, Shonny Vanlandingham, and Race Director Chris Appleton
Saturday, July 19:
6-7:30am Late Packet Pickup (Sorry, no day of race registration)
6:30-8am Transition Area Set-up (setup T2 first at Beaver Creek. Then bike to T1 or drive to T1 parking and setup).
6:30-8am Body Marking at Nottingham Lake, Avon
7:30am T2 Closed for Sprint Athletes
8:00am T2 Closed for Championship Athletes
8:00am XTERRA Sprint Pre-race Briefing
8:05 am XTERRA Sprint Swim Warm-up
8:15 am XTERRA Sprint Race Start at Nottingham Lake
8:40am XTERRA Mountain Championship Pre-race Briefing
8:50am XTERRA Mountain Championship Swim Warm-up
9:00 am XTERRA Mountain Championship Race Start (waves TBD) at Nottingham Lake
9:30-2pm XTERRA Expo Open at Beaver Creek Resort
9:30-2pm XTERRA Trail Run Registration/Packet Pickup Open
9:45am First place Sprint Finisher Expected
10am-2pm Paul Mitchell Cut-a-thon, benefit for the Challenged Athlete Foundation
11:15am First XTERRA Championship Finisher Expected
11:30am Post Race Barbeque and Party
12:30pm XTERRA Kids Sprint – free (enter at XTERRA Registration)
1:00pm T2 Cut-off.
1:00pm XTERRA Mountain Championship/Sprint Award Presentation
Sunday, July 20 – Beaver Creek Village
7:00-8:30am XTERRA Beaver Creek Trail Run Late Registration/Packet Pickup
9:00am-12pm XTERRA Expo Open
8:30 am XTERRA 20K Trail Run Start
9:00am XTERRA 10K and 5K Trail Run Start
9am-12pm Paul Mitchell Cut-a-thon, benefit for the Challenged Athlete Foundation
10:00am XTERRA 5K Trail Run Awards Ceremony
10:30am XTERRA 10K Trail Run Awards Ceremony
11:00am XTERRA Kids Sprint – free (enter at XTERRA Registration)
11:30am XTERRA 20K Trail Run Awards Ceremony
PRIZE MONEY AND AWARDS
- Pros race for a $15,000 pro purse
- Age groupers battle for slots to the World Championship (see chart below)
- Top amateur finishers earn points toward their standings in the XTERRA America Tour
Top finishers at Mountain Championship race are awarded slots to the XTERRA World Championship in Kapalua, Maui based on the following age group allocations.
|AGE GROUP||QUALIFYING SLOTS
|(15 – 19)||1||1|
|(20 – 24)||1||1|
|(25 – 29)||2||2|
|(30 – 34)||3||2|
|(35 – 39)||3||2|
|(40 – 44)||3||2|
|(45 – 49)||2||2|
|(50 – 54)||2||2|
|(55 – 59)||2||2|
Distance:.5 mile swim / 9 mile mountain bike / 3 mile trail run
The XTERRA Sprint race is a half-distance race run on the same course and day as the championship race. The race is a great opportunity for new competitors, or for those who want a less-demanding XTERRA experience.
XTERRA Beaver Creek 5/10/21km Trail Runs
The XTERRA Runs at Beaver Creek are adventurous, fun and challenging. From a 5km around Beaver Creek resort to a more challenging 10km or 21km – XTERRA has a challenge just for you.
Get ready to XTERRA with the sport’s best.
XTERRA University, presented by Paul Mitchell, offers competitors a chance to take in last-minute advice and pointers from some of the best off-road multisport athletes in the sport.
The FREE sessions target improved swimming, biking and trail running techniques plus dealing with the specifics of the Richmond course. There will be time for Q&A with the pros during each session. All classes will be held at the race compound at Brown’s Island.
Paul Mitchell Cut-a-Thon
Racing makes you feel good – Paul Mitchell makes you look good! Make a donation to charity and get a professional cut on the spot. No appointment necessary, just come on down.
East-West Resorts Beaver Creek
1, 2 or 3 bedroom condominiums from $135/night.
Book your stay by Monday, June 30th and receive a $50 dining card.
All guests receive complimentary access to the Club fitness center at Allegria Spa.
Information and rates: http://www.eastwestbeavercreek.com/Xterra-Beavercreek
Reservations: Rates good for reservations by PHONE only. Call: 855.424.5013
Note: Falcon Point only has one bedroom homes available.
Rental Car Discount for XTERRA Athletes
We’ve partnered with the following rental car companies to offer special rates to XTERRA athletes nation-wide of up to 20% off your car rental. Click on the company logo to book your rental car today.
Join us for an exciting morning of XTERRA racing at the XTERRA
Please email or call the XTERRA Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rick Kent and his team of photographers from Enduro Photo are the official athlete photographer of the 2014 XTERRA America Tour. Athlete photos will be available shortly after the race.
You can request to be notified when your photos will be ready at www.myxterraphotos.com.
For questions or more information, call toll-free 1-877-751-8880 or email email@example.com
SORRY, NO REFUNDS
Registration fee includes an event T-shirt and post-race refreshments.
A USA Triathlon license is required. Single-day licenses are available for $12 through XTERRA registration.
Note: You must be present to receive your award. Awards will not be mailed after the event.